As an in home care provider you may sometimes have frustrations over the behavior of your senior adult. Likewise, your senior adult may have frustrations over the things that are happening in her life.
Frustrations are a normal part of everyday life. How do you deal with frustrations in a healthy way?
- Find what is working in the current situation. So it’s true, not everything is going right. In fact, the one thing that is going wrong is the thing that’s causing you all this frustration. So take a step back and find something that’s good, something that’s working. What is it? Focus on it for a moment. This step back and re-focus may give you a clue to what direction you should take to get out of this frustration situation.
- Keep a log that lists your accomplishments. Make sure you place several or at least one major thing in there each month. After a few months you will be surprised at how much you have done, and your frustrations will pale in comparison. Every time you feel frustration coming on, look in your accomplishments log. Now think about how you might make the latest frustration into an accomplishment. Think how great that would look when you can write it in your accomplishments log!
- Simplify by removing all distractions. Sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees. When little things get in your way, you can’t see the big picture. So just think about the one thing that’s so frustrating. Consider all the solutions. If it feels like none of them will work, you haven’t thought of all the solutions yet!
- Take action to eradicate your frustration. Over-analyzing it and worrying it to death is never going to cure it. The way to get rid of frustration is to get up and do something about it.
- Visualize a positive result to the situation. Don’t get stuck concentrating on how frustrating it is! Or your mind will never leave the frustration pity party. Instead, brush those thoughts from your mind and concentrate on the success of the solution. Think how nice it will be to have the problem solved. Keep your mind in the positive result until you see it happening with your eyes.
- Stay positive through the process. Negativity robs you of energy and causes failure.
Positivity delivers energy to you that you can use to carry out the solution to the problem.
For more information about home care services in Flushing, NY and the surrounding areas, contact Best Senior Home Care at 917-880-9373. Serving Bayside, Flushing, Fresh Meadows, Whitestone, Forest Hills, Little Neck, Auburndale, Queens Village, Bellerose, Manhattan and surrounding communities.