Home is where the heart is, and the vast majority of seniors’ hearts are set on staying at home throughout the aging process, instead of moving to an assisted living facility or nursing home – as many as 90% of them, according to AARP. And who can blame them? Feeling comfortable in familiar surroundings, having the independence to come and go as you desire, experiencing the freedom to choose whatever meals you want, and eat them whenever and wherever you want – these choices are simply priceless.
But although it sounds like the perfect plan for aging, there are some real concerns to be thought through as well to provide the highest level of care for seniors:
- Will the senior be safe?
- How will he or she get around when driving, or even walking, becomes difficult?
- What happens if the senior becomes ill or injured and no one’s nearby to help?
Thankfully, it’s much easier now than in the past for the elderly to remain safe and well cared for at home. The following tips can be of assistance in taking the steps necessary to ensure your senior loved one is prepared for these and other needs, now and in the years to come:
- Assess the home, both inside and out, from the perspective of the senior’s safety. Check to make sure:
- Grab bars are in place near the bathtub and toilet.
- Throw rugs and other tripping hazards are removed.
- There’s plenty of lighting, including in hallways and stairways.
- Commonly used items are within easy reach.
- Emergency numbers are posted in a prominent location.
- Put together a transportation plan, so it will be ready to implement when driving is no longer an option:
- Look into public transportation options that are available and easily accessible.
- Put together a volunteer tree of trusted people the senior can call on for transportation when needed: friends, family members, neighbors, religious organizations, local senior centers, Best Senior Home Care, etc.
- Provide the senior with technology to use in an emergency to call for help when alone, such as a PERS (personal emergency response system).
Keep in mind, however, that the most reliable and effective way to keep seniors safe and well cared for at home is by partnering with a professional in-home care agency, such as Best Senior Home Care. Our caregivers are extensively trained and experienced in providing personal care services, transportation, meal preparation, and companionship, and are available for as much or as little care as needed.
We start with creation of a personalized care plan to meet the senior’s individual needs and desires, and then update that plan ongoing as needs change – making sure that the senior always remains safe and is living life to the fullest, where it’s most comfortable: right at home. Contact us at 917-880-9373 to learn more about our high quality New York care for seniors.